Monday 6 March 2017

COUNTDOWN TO THE LONDON MARATHON 2017 - PART 3

Another month gone - five more Sunday morning long runs under my belt since the last blog - see this link for Part 2 of the Countdown to the London Marathon 2017 series. I note I wrote and posted on Saturday February 4 2017 which was actually the day before I switched from my local circuit runs to the largely flat route from Marazion heading west to Penzance and then Newlyn and on to Mousehole and eventually beyond - and returning when I reached the set time for that week.

Here's the history of the progress so far:

Marazion car park to Newlyn town sign - 50 minutes and return in 53 minutes and then running around Marazion to get to the target time of 110 minutes (and 45 seconds) - Sunday 5 Feb.

Marazion car park to just past Newlyn - 60 minutes (aiming for a target time of 120 minutes of continuous running) and then returning to the car at 129 minutes (and 45 seconds) after taking a

St Michael's Mount from Marazion - always the object of desire on the return journey.


wrong turn on the coastal foot path - doh! - Sunday 12 Feb.

Marazion car park to almost the outer limit of Mousehole - 65 minutes - and then turning round and returning to Marazion and the car in 130 minutes and 40 seconds - Sunday 19 Feb.

Marazion car park to inside the outer reaches of  Mousehole - 70 minutes - and then back to Marazion and the car in 137 minutes and 32 seconds. Very fierce wind in my face running out from Marazion that lengthended the journey to Newlyn by three minutes - the wind was on my back on the return journey - Sunday 26 Feb.

Marazion car park to just before the centre of Mousehole in 75 minutes (still  a strong head wind in




my face) and then returning  in 150 minutes and 28 seconds.

My guestimate is a 10 minute mile pace - very comfortable with that kind of performance over what is  now around 15 miles of continuous running. 

If you have been following the countdown to April 23 through the other posts, you will know that I  am running to raise funds for the Salvation Army and in particular for their drug rehabilitation unit in Swindon. There are 36 of us, running for the Salvation Army - and about a dozen are connected on Facebook. Here is a copy of my latest weekly update on that site - yesterday's post:


"The knowledge that I will produce this post after the Sunday morning long run is - as I have said before - very motivational. No way do I want to report that I had to switch to speed walking/running in order to complete the distance - at least not just yet. Today I ran for 75 minutes and that took me into Mousehole to the point where the road narrows and descends and the 20 mph sign provides a convenient post on which to swing round. Still very windy so this outward journey... took the same extra three minutes as did last Sunday's windy run. Going back, there are more downhill sections and the wind is on my back - and that helps compensate for any slower pace through tiredness. Back to the car in Marazion in 150 minutes and 28 seconds. A bit of teeth gritting and thinking about this post on the journey back - but I am approaching the limit of the distance I have ever run continuously before. Captain Ellie Read and her husband, Captain Mark Read have arranged a meeting with me soon and I understand details of my run are now up on their Facebook page. Many thanks to them - and to all of you who do such good work for people in the community.


Waiting for action ....



The Salvation Army running top pictured above now has ROB on it, front and back. A picture of that in the coming weeks .."

My Virgin Money Giving website page is the place to use for donations if you would like  to support  my run and the Salvation Army and their specific charity focus: the Swindon drug rehabilitation unit. Here is a link to this page:  And below a copy of some of that same page.


Rob Donovan

Charity



The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is a registered charity and church working in 117 countries worldwide and is one of the largest and most diverse providers of social welfare in the world. In the UK and Republic of Ireland this work includes more than 800 Salvation Army social service centres and community churches. We provide unconditional friendship, support and very practical help to people in crisis and need and work with children, older people, homeless people and those dealing with drug and/or alcohol addiction. Alongside our work in the UK, The Salvation Army International Development (UK) is part of a world-wide team supporting the battle against poverty in developing countries. The projects we work with are designed by the poor for the poor and we are about enabling and empowering people to build a better future for themselves.
Only47 days to go!


Please note Virgin Money Giving isn't responsible for the content fundraisers post on their pages, but if you see something you feel is offensive or inappropriate, please let us know and we'll look into it.

Rob Donovan's fundraising page

Fundraiser: 
Rob Donovan

My page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/robdonovan


Hi, thanks for visiting my page. Through Virgin Money Giving, you can sponsor me and donations will be quickly processed and passed to the Salvation Army. Virgin Money Giving is a not for profit organisation and will claim gift aid on the charity's behalf where the donor is eligible for this. I really appreciate all your support and thank you for any donations.

Why am I gearing up to run the London Marathon in 2017?

The experience of completing the 26 plus miles in 2012 was awesome. Who wouldn't want a chance to  revisit such an occasion? Here is a link to my website and the details about my running 'persona'.

I raised over £2,000 for the Alzheimer's Society in sponsorship for that run and switched from the Salvation Army as my chosen charity to the Alzheimer's Society because my sister had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and my mother-in-law had developed the condition in the recent last years of her life. Now I have an opportunity to help the Salvation Army in their work, specifically in further developing a drug rehabilitation unit in Swindon.

This charity run in April is also my personal tribute to my late father-in-law who passed away aged 90 in July 2015. Beteen a third and a half of the sponsorship money raised by my marathons in London in 2012 and Edinburgh in 2014 came from Ronald directly. His generosity in leaving  me a  legacy means I can pledge that I will match the total sponsorship raised by my run using Ronald's legacy. I hope to raise £1,500; the Salvation Army would then receive £3,000. If I get more money than the target of £1,500, I will continue to match. Here is a link to my eulogy for Ronald delivered at his funeral service in August 2015.  

If you can support my run and this worthwhile cause, it would be really appreciated. Many thanks!    

2017-01-30  - I've donated £350.00 to the Salvation Army by cheque matching the £350 donated on line by the end of January.   


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I hope you have enjoyed a taste of my life in my running persona - thank you for following this far  and a special thanks if you have decided to donate.





        

No comments:

Post a Comment